Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Medical Records

I was faxed our complete medical records yesterday, even though the "authorization for release" was directly to the private clinic we are planning to go to.  They obviously got my work fax number off my cover letter.  Odd error, but it works fine for us.
It was interesting to read through the whole chart.  I am a physiotherapist and have to chart every client, every visit, every phone call and email and cancelled appointment.  So I find it disturbing to see how little chart notes there are considering I've had 3 IVF cycles, 1 IUI, 1 failed IUI and a few consultations.  And the worst part is that there isn't one single note in there since the transfer that I had in March.  There is a lab print out saying that my beta was negative.  But that is it.
Now I have many clients myself, that may have the same type of injuries and treatment plans.  When they don't come back for 3 months, I go to my chart notes and scan my last notes, always grateful to "past me" for leaving a plan for the next visit.  If I haven't left a good plan (which seriously doesn't happen very often), I have to wing it and I admit that I spend at least 1/2 of the visit trying to remember what I want to do with them.
So putting this in context with my fertility doctor, she is going to scan my chart on June 9th, more than 3 months since our 3rd failed IVF cycle, and "wing it"?  I think this works fine if you're just spitting out a recipe of treatment, but I really don't want to believe that that is what they're doing.  I mean, everything about my 3rd cycle was different, even though I was on the same medication.  Will she have an answer for that?  Or will she have any suggestions for how we can make changes when I'm obviously not following her recipe?  I guess I need to switch clinics.  I'm sounding so negative about this clinic now.
The private clinic that we're going to for our second opinion will probably have read through the notes better than my actual doctor anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment