Sunday, October 17, 2010

An Epiphany?

Since our CCRM consult, I've been mulling over what to do with this information.  Do I want to go to Denver?  I know that I want to have a baby, so is this the next step?
I work with clients with spinal cord injuries.  A complete spinal cord injury means that they will not be able to feel or move anything below the level of the injury.  An incomplete spinal cord injury means that they will be able to feel some things and move some muscles below the level of the injury.  Although some incomplete injuries have very small disability, most are nearly as disabled as the person with a complete injury.  Only they see they can move some muscles and they think that means that they should be able to walk.   No one can tell them that they WON'T ever walk again, but most of the time that's the case.  Years ago I realized that often having an incomplete injury was worse than a complete injury, because it meant that the person couldn't move on with their lives.  They couldn't except that this was their life now, and try to move on with a new quality of life.
I'm not comparing infertility to spinal cord injury, but a couple of days ago this information helped me have an epiphany.  I am unable to move on with my life.  I am unable to accept my problem because I keep thinking that something can fix it.  Having "unexplained infertility" means that no one is ever going to tell us that we can never have a baby, but no one really knows if we ever can.  But with 4 failed IVFs, the picture is getting clearer.
I don't want to go through another year of this.  I don't want to go to CCRM and spend another year investigating and trying and hoping and failing.  I'm sad that we've spent so many years "stuck" and unable to do anything but plan around TTC.   
I started Lupron Friday.  IVF #5 starts this next weekend.  But that's it.  After this, I think I can say that I'll be done.  I think it's time to move toward adoption.  Making a decision to adopt means that we can move on, just with a different life plan.

1 comment: