Monday, September 14, 2009

Transfer complete

This morning we had 2 embryos. An 8-celled and a 7-celled, both grade 2. Since every lab seems to grade differently, grade 2 means minimal fragmentation. The doc says she rarely sees a grade 1 and that our embryos looked great.
They only use the blastocyst stage to "select" the best embryos so there is no benefit, in their minds, to wait until day 5. I asked is a Petri dish with the correct nutrients could better mimic the Fallopian tubes as compared to my uterus ( since day 3 embryos wouldn't actually be in the uterus yet) but the doc said there is no real way to know. Googling this info tells me that it's a matter of opinion.
The transfer is easy, as everyone says it is. We saw the woosh of air and such on the ultrasound as the catheter emptied the embryos into the top of my uterus. And we have a little picture to remember it by. Hopefully this is our first picture of our child/children.
Oh, and this doc actually warned me before she put the speculum in. It's funny that I'd be thankful for that.

1 comment: